Subject: [Leica] Analog video 8 to DVD using a Mac
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 21:06:34 -0500

I had about 40 hours of 8 mm analog video tape to convert to digital
format. Most of it was recorded on an older Sony videocam. I solved
the problem by buying a Sony digital cassette recorder DV-D800 NTSC at
a Sony clearance center. It cost me about $300 new a few years ago but
is available on eBay for less than $100. The cassette recorder is a
small box about 4" by 6" that mounts a video 8 or Hi 8 tape. It
contains a 4" TFT Screen and has the usual VCR controls. The recorder
has standard RCA video and audio outputs, S video inputs and outputs.
and, most important a digital video output.

The procedure for use was very simple. Simply insert an analog video
tape and connect the digital video output to your Mac Firewire port.
(If you have a new unibody MacBook or MacAir you are out of luck. They
don't have Firewire ports.) Using iMovie, the Mac recognizes the
recorder as a Sony digital videocam and imports the video data stream.
 From there on out it is just like using a new digital videocam. You
can edit the movie to your heart's content, adding breaks, titles,
transitions, special effects, etc. Then export the movie to iDVD to
burn the finished disc.

You could do much the same thing with a digital 8 videocam. The kind
that takes standard analog tapes. Otherwise you would have to find one
with a "pass through" facility. Feed the output from the old analog
camera to the digital camera.Then pass it through to the Mac.

Incidentally, I found iMovie 6 far easier to use than iMovie '08 for
this purpose.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Analog video 8 to DVD using a Mac)
Reply from philippe.amard at tele2.fr (Philippe AMARD) ([Leica] Analog video 8 to DVD using a Mac)