Subject: [Leica] Monster High-tech 50mm 1.4 from Sigma and everyone else
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Wed Feb 4 15:52:27 2009

>Is that why they call it Double Gauss?

A Gauss lens is a lens with a positive meniscus lens on the object side and
a negative meniscus lens on the image side.  This design was invented by
Carl Freidrich Gauss in 1817.  The negative lens corrects for chromatic
aberration.  A *double* Gauss lens is two Gauss lenses back to back so you
have two positive meniscus lenses on the outside with two negative meniscus
lenses inside them.  Traditional designs of this type are symmetrical.

>He talks about the Summicron coming from a Taylor Taylor Hobson design.

The double Gauss design was radically improved by Paul Rudolph's
improvements made while working for Carl Zeiss which consist of replacing
the single negative meniscus lenses with cemented doublets (to make a
six-element symmetrical lens).  Taylor and Hobson's f/2.0 Opic and Speed
Panchro designs originated in the 1920s and are evolutionary improvements on
Rudolph's designs.  Most modern double Gauss designs owe their origins to
these revolutionary designs.  The original seven-element Summicrons were a
further evolution for the type, but were not symmetrical.  The later
six-element 50mm Summicrons are double Gauss designs derived from Rudolph's
design.

Sigma have really shaken things up here in an interesing way.  This EX DG
HSM lens has an aspherical element, like the Leica M 50/1.4 asph, but I
don't think it has afloating element which the Leica does.  Sigma have
moderated some of the aberrations that a floating element corrects for by
making the lens BIG.  It weighs as much as a Noctilux but the front element
is 50% larger.  It's a monster all right.

The new AF-S Nikkor I tried was disappointing in many ways - it displayed a
lot of distortion, didn't seem to be designed for use wide open and has
observable focus shift.  It's not the lens for my Nikon SLRs I was hoping
for.  I didn't ever anticipate owning a Sigma lens, but maybe I will.

Marty

Gallery: http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!