Subject: [Leica] Bokeh
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Tue Jan 20 17:40:32 2009

I thought I?d responded to this last night but my message seems to have
vanished into the void.
?
>No argument from me on the two Leica lenses mentioned for extremely >good
>out of focus rendition! ?But others would say 'Oh the new >designs lack the
>smoothness or glow (or whatever) of the older >lenses.
?
Those others are confused.? Bokeh is blur, specifically the blur in photos
where they are out of focus. ?It is not blur caused by camera or subject
movement. ?Smoothness and glow are either terms that refer to the in focus
parts of the photo or large unquantifiable.? So this has nothing to do with
them.
?
>So I was saying to the OP, what do you understand by bo-ke or bokeh or
>whatever you like to call it. Is it the way that OoF
>highlights are rendered? Or the transition from sharp to unsharp or some
>subjective Leica quality?
?
Bokeh is blur.? How out-of-focus highlights are rendered and how the
transition from in- to out-of-focus appears are part of it, but they are not
bokeh. ?Bokeh is the blur.
?
There is an hilarious thread here
http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00S2yV that shows just how confused
many people are about this. ?The angst and agression that this engenders is
why I don?t like photo.net.
?
>For example, the last pre-asph Summicron 35 is often held to be a bo-ke
>champion. It doesn't appeal to me at all compared to its
>asph. replacement. I see a lot of that smoothness as inability to resolve
>un-sharp detail, if you like. What I call under-correction.
?
We?ve discussed and looked at enough photos together that I think I have a
pretty good handle on what you mean and like (with many other people I
don?t).? What you describe above are aspects of the in-focus image.? The
biggest difference between the in-focus imaging characteristics of the
version IV 35 Summicron and the asph is that the asph shows much greater
contrast at wider apertures, particularly in fine detail (small image sizes,
in optical parlance).? I think this is what you like about it, and I can?t
really disagree.? But that?s not bokeh, although it is tangentially relevant.
?
However, if you look only at the bokeh, the version IV is both different and
in most people?s opinion, better than the asph. ?The version IV is less
likely to create hard edges, double lines and other harsh artefacts than the
asph.
?
Why?? Well, those aberrations you mention.? It?s often discussed that
contrast and resolution are trade-offs. ?This is only true in systems
chiefly limited by spherical aberration. ?Modern glass and lens design
technology have controlled spherical aberration in many types of lenses to
the extent where both resolution and contrast can be raised significantly.?
Spherical aberration becomes harder to control at short focal rations ?
essentially the faster the lens the harder it is to control - testing the
new Leica M 21/1.4 will be interesting.? What Leica did with the early asph
lenses, in my opinion (caveat ? I have only tested the 90/2 and the three
35s, not the 21 or 24) was to over-correct (?positive? control) the
spherical aberrations and increase the contrast transmission in the image
too much.? I think Leica thought this too, because the 50/1.4, the 75/2 and
the 50/0.95 (it remains to be seen for the others) have more moderately
controlled spherical aberration and lower contrast than the earlier asph
lenses. ?The degree of control of aberration is hard to measure without an
optical bench, because -0.1%, for instance, will cause a very similar amount
of unsharpness in the corners of the image as +0.1%? If you can read German
this is all explained in the summarised lectures of Ernst Abbe: S. Czapski
and O. Eppenstein, Grundzuge der Theorie der optischen Instrumente nach Abbe
(2nd ed., Leipzig, 1903).
?
So lenses that are slightly under-corrected or extremely well corrected for
spherical aberration generally show good bokeh, but lenses that are
over-corrected for spherical aberration will fairly consistently show 'bad'
bokeh, characterised by double lines, rapid harsh transitions and an edgy
appearance to objects in the bokeh.? Remember also that one lens will show
different characteristic bokeh in front of and behind the in-focus image and
that bokeh will change with aperture and distance to the in-focus areas and
the distance between the in-focus areas and the out-of-focus areas.  Phew.

So why over-correct in the first place?? It is rumoured that in the 1960s,
Nikon?s marketing research showed that people perceived the in-focus part of
pictures as ?sharper? if the lenses were slightly over-corrected for
spherical aberration. ?This may have something to do with the way in-focus
areas blend into out-of-focus areas, but needs further investigation.
Investigating why perception works as it does is difficult.
?
Remember that all lenses that are available to us are LOADED with
aberrations, even the absolutely best corrected.? It?s always a trade-off
and there are things more important than sitting around wondering about
optical correction of aberrations, unless you?re a lens designer.  If you
are, tell me why can't I buy a still camera lens as good as the Zeiss Ultra
Prime and Ultra 16 cine lenses?  The answer, of course, is that if someone
made one, no-one (including me) could afford it.
?
Ultimately, this means that any lens can be designed to have excellent
in-focus performance and excellent bokeh. ?The 50/1.4 asph and the 75/2 show
this.? I hope that someday Leica will redesign the 35 asphs to better match
the rendition of the newest 50 and 75, but I?m not holding my breath.  The
main reason that this has not been happenning is the perception of sharpness
issue described above and the fact that bokeh has only really been widely
discussed over the last 10-15 years, although film makers have been aware of
it for a lot longer than that.
?
What is good bokeh?? I once tried to undertake a survey of photographers and
non-photographers to describe preferences in bokeh (in the hope of
publishing it in a photography magazine) and found a few interesting
things.? Most interesting is that most people don?t care, even if they are
photographers ? my mother exclaimed ?it?s all just blur!? ?Of the people who
did care, they generally disliked double lines (ni-sen bokeh) or sharp
transitions where when viewed by normal vision the scene would appear to
have smooth transitions.  People also generally liked similar kinds of bokeh
(e.g. someone who liked double lines liked them from different lenses and to
different extents)? Sharp transitions seemed okay to most people where they
would naturally occur (such as in spotlights on a dark background). ?But
there was sufficient variation for none of it to be anything other than
indicative.  I tend to agree with Mark R. that good is, well, good and that
in this case that means ?smooth?.  All this just affirms that in aesthetics
anything goes.  Good is whatever you think is good.?

After all that, to reinterpret Doug?s question as ?what lenses do I think
produce good out-of-focus blur and why?? I offer:
?
I think that the best bokeh in a lens for 135 film or comparably sized
digital sensors is from the 35/2 version IV at f4 or 5.6 and focused between
1.5 and 5 metres. ?Its bokeh shows no harsh transitions or double lines,
objects almost seem to collapse onto themselves but smoothly, gradually.?
Incredibly gradual, gentle transition from in focus to out of focus (this is
important to me). ?Note that this lens flares readily, its bokeh is less
pleasing and it is insufficiently contrasty for my liking wider open than
f4. ?It also behaves somewhat strangely when focused closer than 1.5m.? It
has other optical issues that displease me, mainly to do with distortion,
but overall I think it?s a stellar lens, especially for its time.
?
As I said previously, the 50/1.4 asph and 75/2 have excellent bokeh and I
would not fear using them from wide open to f11 (stopped down more than that
diffraction starts to become apparent) or focal distance.? Smooth, though
rapid, transition from in- to out-of-focus, no doubling.
?
The Zeiss 110/2 for the Hasselblad cameras has?smooth, even blur, even wide
open.? When I borrowed this lens I used it wide open and close up just to
look at the bokeh (sad but true).

The absolutely most consistent bokeh I?ve seen is in photos taken with the
Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-S lenses. ?Wide open, stopped down, near or far
focus.? Amazing.? Reason enough to get a large format camera.? I need to get
one of these while I can.  I also need to take more pictures and think about
bokeh less.
?
End bokeh rant.? Let?s all go take some photos.
?
Marty

Gallery: http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene

--