Subject: [Leica] IMG: the new Elmar M 3.8 24mm very first impressions
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Jan 4 18:01:06 2009

Folks today I visited my Leica dealer and took delivery of the very first of
the new Elmar M 24mm to arrive in Australia. Actually the only one here so
far!Its form factor is tiny and the operation just really smooth and easy
from the focus tab. With its new screw on metal hood it is wonderfully
compact even with much less intrusion in the viewfinder, obviating the need
for an external one for me.

I took a couple of quick frames that you can see starting from this link.
First frame is wide open where this lens is meant to perform its very best.

They have minimal processing except for web sizing of course. These are only
snapshots. The first two are full frame so you may look at the vignetting
behaviour, or lack thereof! Next I shall shoot it on my M7 at some suitable
scenery.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/a/ns/E24a.jpg.html

Now here is something I found absolutely fascinating. What can you identify
about the first frame indoors of the two guys?

Hint, there is NO UV/IR filter on the lens as yet. These have not been
corrected at all and use the new Adobe Standard profile for the M8.

Very very interesting to me. This is the newest firmware by the way, which
identifies the lens correctly.

Replies: Reply from grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey@mchsi.com) ([Leica] IMG: the new Elmar M 3.8 24mm very first impressions)
Reply from ken at iisaka.org (Ken Iisaka) ([Leica] IMG: the new Elmar M 3.8 24mm very first impressions)
Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] IMG: the new Elmar M 3.8 24mm very first impressions)