Subject: [Leica] Re: Unbelievable
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sat Dec 20 01:30:01 2008

I do not think a mass market low price Leica is a practical
engineering possibility, considering the size of the company. Canon
sell more digital SLRs in 3 months than Leica have ever made M cameras
in their entire history.
Quality suffers from the laws of diminishing returns. Leica quality
is, IMO the best, it will never be cheap.
What would certainly bring Leica down would be to try to be a "me too"
company with the established big players. The tooling cost for a low
price camera would bankrupt them, the sacrifice in quality of a low
budget lens line would destroy their reputation.
Leica is what it is, I like it. People have been expecting the demise
of Leica on this list for all of the 10 years or so I have been on it.
There are loads of camera makers making lower priced products with
various strengths and weaknesses. Some are, apparently, really
struggling. Leica jumping into this market would not be sensible IMO.
Frank

Message from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Re: Unbelievable)
Message from lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] Re: Unbelievable)