Subject: [Leica] Some Thanksgiving photos
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Thu Dec 4 07:00:51 2008

----- Original Message -----
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 21:43:30 -0500
From: Elizabeth Reid <elizabeth@reid.org>

>I took a handful of photos this weekend while visiting my aunt and
>uncle for the holiday weekend, and I was hoping for some feedback from
>anyone who wants to chime in.
>
>In particular, I'm not sure which of these two pictures is the winner:
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ereid/misc/IMG_8184.jpg.html
>tinyurl:
>http://tinyurl.com/6zqdxo
>or:
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ereid/misc/IMG_8177.jpg.html
>tinyurl:
>http://tinyurl.com/6cfjdm
>
>I also have this shot of my uncle's friend, Brian Bowers playing the
>autoharp:
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ereid/misc/IMG_7594.jpg.html
>tinyurl:
>http://tinyurl.com/5fvpay
>
>As well as a shot of my cousin, Otto:
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ereid/misc/IMG_7686.jpg.html
>tinyurl:
>http://tinyurl.com/632zqw
>C&C welcome.
>Elizabeth
I like 8177 better, but on this one and Otto, it bothers me that you cut off
appendages.
Otto's expression is great, but it would've been good if you could have
scanned the edges
of the picture with your eye and composed either tighter or looser.  In 8177
the same applies.
In the uncle picture, I find the bright window and lampshade distract from
his face; they
take up too much of the composition. I try and avoid glaring backgrounds
like this if possible.
It looks like shifting the camera position to the right might have allowed a
shot of his hand
and his profile with the books as backdrop, where the darker tones would
have given separation
to his white hair.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978