Subject: [Leica] OT: What to do if you're passing through the Hong Kong airport with 8 hour lay-over?
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Fri Nov 28 22:31:07 2008

8 hours is a little tight but it's entirely possible.  I've had short stops
in HK four times in the last couple of years but I've always had 12-18 hours
between flights.  You can usually get out of HK airport fairly quickly.
There is good luggage storage in the airport:
http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/passenger/departure/all/baggage/left-baggage.html

the Airport Express leaves every 12 minutes
http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/transport/to-from-airport/airport-express.html

and takes 24 minutes to get you into Hong Kong station, from which you can
transfer to the MTR
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_MTR
and move around easily.

So it's entirely possible to be in Central or Kowloon 90 minutes after
disembarking your plane.

Plenty to do once you're there.  Just walking around in Kowloon or Central
is pretty amazing - plenty to see.  I really love the bird markets and
ornamental fish markets in Mong Kok, though the bird markets had a lot more
character in their old incarnation prior to 1997.  The Tim Hau temples are
pools of serenity in the middle of the buzzing swarm, Curio Alley in Tsim
Sha Tsui (TST) has more little buddhas, bells and things than you'll see
anywhere, the jade markets are a fantastic place to pick up some cheap but
beautiful cultured pearls . . . I could go on.  Food: I like the abalone
dishes at Forum at Causeway Bay, the peking duck at Spring Deer in TST and a
million other places.

On topic - http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Randomness/ MP,
35/1.4 aspherical, Acros, Xtol 1+1.

Howard Cummer lives in HK and can probably give better advice about what to
do when you get there.  As long as your daughter and her boyfriend are
reasonably experienced travellers and/or are realistic about how long
getting back to the airport and checking in will take, and have good time
management they should have a few fun hours in a great place.

Marty

Gallery: http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!