Subject: [Leica] Was Leica's Advertising Budget - Now personal M8 experience
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Thu Nov 27 00:41:45 2008

Hi Geoff,
I am very happy that you have a problem free M8. I was not so lucky. I
had the opportunity of trying the M8 in August of 2006 when Tom A was
testing one of the LHSA prototypes in Vancouver and Henning loaned me
his vast arsenal of M lenses. I was so impressed that I sold my Epson
RD1 the week after I tried the M8. It was my third RD1. Each unit I
received was plagued with different problems, viewfinder
maladjustments (on every camera I touched and that was more than a
dozen) clumps of dead pixels, fried dials etc - that is old history we
don't need to plough again.

When I first raised the M8 viewfinder to my eye and the rangefinder
was accurate and the frame lines straight I felt I had "come home". My
first M8 lasted 5 months and then in Ontario's Lake country I got the
dreaded "shutter failure" notice on the LCD. I sent the camera to
Solms by courier. We need not dwell on the fact that DHL lost it for
one month in transit, (that story is well known on the Lug) and
receipt of my new camera is recorded in the Steve Barbour's photo
folder of LUG faces. The replacement camera lasted 23 days and then
developed a blue vertical line of dead pixels about 1/3 from the right
side of all pictures taken at all speeds and all ISO's.  So, back to
Solms it went for the replacement of the CCD. In all this I was polite
with Solms and their service to me was exemplary.

So, I have had two cameras fail in my personal experience. That has
not happened to any of my Canon or Nikon cameras. Yes, I am still
shooting with the M8 because the images are so good - but each time I
pick up the camera there is that nano second of doubt.

Will it work??

Cheers
Howard

Replies: Reply from vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko) ([Leica] Was Leica's Advertising Budget - Now personal M8 experience)