Subject: [Leica] Cheaper thrills
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed Jan 30 08:45:12 2008

Thanks, Luis.

I've read that APX (Rollei retro) doesn't stain quite as much as some other
films, such as FP4+ or HP5+. But I also read that staining isn't the only
reason for using PMK (or other Pyro developers). There are other benefits in
mid-tone and highlight separation.

I haven't had as much time as I'd like for actual picture taking lately.
Hopefully I will soon. But I have been studying up on processes. I've been
reading as much as I can about Pyro and developers in general, including
Anschell and Troop, Hutching's, and of course APUG and other forums. My hope
is to find a good process and stick with it for a while.

I really enjoyed looking through the LUG yearbook. I recognized certain
photographers just by the images, without even looking at the names. When I
see that I'm always impressed. Style is a difficult thing to create. By
style I don't mean that everything is the same, and therefore boring. I mean
that there is a certain continuity and familiarity in a body of work, yet
there are also elements that make each image within that body unique and
interesting.

I went to grade school with a kid who later became a well known musician. He
had talent that even a fifth grader could recognize. One time he was playing
a song. I was impressed and said, you're good, you sound exactly like so and
so. He took offense. He said that it was easy to sound like someone else
(well easy for him!). But he wanted to be different.

Developing a unique style has nothing to do with type of equipment or
processes, yet it has everything to with type of equipment and processes, if
that makes sense. Too much change can be a bad thing. That's one of the
things I struggle with digital. People used to raise a fuss when their
favorite printing paper was reformulated. Now we delight with new, and
hopefully improved, software. Could be a reach to equate the two, but maybe
there's something there.

DaveR