Subject: [Leica] Size Matters
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Thu Dec 6 08:39:17 2007

Folks -

Hoppy & I were having a discussion in the Print Swappers' Club about
image sizes and I thought I'd post these musings to the larger
community in a effort to get some clear ideas on the subject.

Short version: Here are examples of 2 snaps that I shot a few weeks
ago.  The duotone/infrared shot seems best realized as a 4 x 6 (5 x 7
max) because, to me, it heightens the sense of discovery and doesn't
yell out and grab you when stuck up on the wall.  (Also, in this case
the grain has appeal for me at a certain absolute size, but it's not
really the main thing here...)

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/coba

The color tableau, on the other hand, really needs to be around 2
feet wide so someone can peer around in various corners of the
image.  Also, the Big Color thing seems more festive or some such thing.

I'm also debating this size business with 2 other snappers; we may be
doing a 3 man show in a few months and one of these guys really feels
that each one of us needs to commit to a single size for all of his
images to foster more "unity of the individual's vision."

Anyone have a strong take on this stuff?

Bob Palmieri

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Size Matters)
Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Size Matters)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Size Matters)