Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 problems
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu Aug 30 10:08:14 2007

A funny thing happened with technology.........  In IC technology, they make
things bigger in capacity size, but smaller in physical size.  Then they
discontinue the older technology, leaving the engineers with only enormous
memory as the only choice.  Then the marketing and programming guys get
together, and say something like.... what can we do with all this space?
The result is 15 modes with half a dozen sub-modes each.....instead of only
1 mode.  Or, in TV terms, remote controls with hundreds of buttons, when the
market really wants only an on off switch, channel up/down, and volume
up/down!

Bottom line, you need really good ergonomics / human engineering to find the
one mode you always use......because it is buried someplace...

IMO, This is a poor area for most Asian engineered products... not so true
for US and ( to a lesser degree) European designed products......  which
seem to have figured out that if an idiot can not find the on/off button at
least, without a 347 page instruction manual, maybe the product is too
obtuse/complex or otherwise counter intuitive......!

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Lawrence Zeitlin <lrzeitlin@optonline.net> wrote:

> My DSLR has 15 modes of operation, each
> with half a dozen submodes. The mind boggles.

Obviously not a DMR.
Doug Herr

Replies: Reply from ken at iisaka.org (Ken Iisaka) ([Leica] Re: M8 problems)