Subject: [Leica] Integrity is the first casualty
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Wed Apr 18 15:50:40 2007

On 4/18/07, Lottermoser George <imagist3@mac.com> wrote:

> As Joe Bageant scathingly says in a remarkable bit of writing,

He also wrote:  Once upon a time business in the industrialized world needed
its citizen laborers as customers, as consumers, which implied they be paid
at least enough to buy the products of the businesses and corporations that
beat their asses into submission along America's assembly lines and hog
slaughtering plants.

----------

It seems clear to me, that when say GM is faced with a shrinking market and
falling profits they close plants and lay off  thousands of workers, they
also lose thousands of customers.

I once had my contract "bought out" by a TV station, and  while I had a few
months that I did not have to work, I seldom spent that leisure time
watching that station.

I've essentially had two careers in TV, one as a newsfilm photographer, and
another  as a live show news producer.  I was a  photographer in part of
what is usually termed the "glory years " of TV news, the 60's and 70's.

We worked hard, and we worked "good".  I had a week where I messed up a few
things.  My  News Director called me in and said "You've been screwing up.
Stop screwing up."  Then he turned and started typing his editorial.

Most people running the business had come from Newspapers and Radio, and
indeed, my  jobs in college were with newspapers.  We had  a pretty
well-honed sense of ethics.  There were always battle lines drawn between
the advertising sales guys and the news department.  I remember several
times when sales cried when we did a story detrimental to a client.

I doubt that would happen today, they wouldn't have to cry.

 Sonny

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Integrity is the first casualty)
Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Integrity is the first casualty)
Message from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Integrity is the first casualty)