Subject: [Leica] Seen In New Orleans
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Tue Feb 27 17:51:55 2007

Mardi Gras is a better time for insanity than jazz. Although the city was
80% under water for several weeks, the places where jazz abounds happened to
be in the 200-year-old part of town, the part that was above water before
there were levees. Which is precisely why, after nail-biting through 20
years of hurricanes, I bought a 150-year-old house near the river.

I think that many people can visit briefly now and not realize that the city
was largely damaged or destroyed by the two storms. But, even in the older
parts of town that weren't flooded, there is no streetcar service on St.
Charles Avenue, the classic Fairmont hotel remains closed, the Orpheum
Theater that housed the LA Philharmonic lies in moldy ruins, and so on.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com
http://400tx.blogspot.com/