Subject: [Leica] Chasing lights...
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Aug 15 21:11:31 2006

Richard offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Chasing lights...

> At 07:19 AM 8/15/2006, Ted Grant wrote:
>>>When light is gone, all you have are ghosts
>>>http://www.dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/PICS/081506/crop0037.jpg
>>
>>Holy sufferin' cat fish!! Was it a wavey navey water night and things were
>>heaving back and forth from the waves to create off balance near make you
>>sea sick shooting at an angle like this?
>
> :-) By this time, it is totally dark, so I was just propping the camera up
> on railings to get 6-10 seconds exposures. This particular railing is
> slanted. Obviously the picture doesn't work for anyone except me, I am OK
> with that.<<<

Hi Richard,
Using the railing is fine, just pick one that's straight! ;-)

Last year in Lisbon I did a great number of exposures putting the camera on
cobble stone streets at night and tripping the shutter on "time and ASA 100
aperture 22" and let the camera decide what the exposure was! I know
sacrilegious for some folks! :-)

But what the heck some very fine pictures with great depth of focus and
great light. :-) Yep I liked most of them. :-)

Well OK other than some that I didn't realize the time exposure hadn't
completed as I picked up the camera and some of the main street lights were
these very neat looking light traces as I movd the camera about while the
exposure was still being made. ;-)  Neat looking, unfortunately useless as
stock images for the agency. :-(  Oh well what the hell, no one's perfect!
;-)

Bottom line? It's all about fun and enjoying ourselves as amateur or a pro!
If we aren't having fun successfully or as a disaster at times, what the
hell's the point of doing it. :-)

Just keep on shooting doing what you enjoy trying things that may or may not
work and the enjoyment of photography will always be there. And for heaven
sake for all of us whatever you do..... do not take it so seriously that you
can't take a comment you're not happy with!

Like you I still after all these years ask many friends and colleagues for
their comments about a picture and damn it hurts when some one takes me to
task when I think it's a beauty. And it's shot down, quite often for the
simplest reason one would've thought... "ted how the heck did you miss
that?" :-(

And you almost want to cry! :-(

ted

Replies: Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] Chasing lights...)