Subject: [Leica] Re: Done with picture sorting
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (lrzeitlin@optonline.net)
Date: Mon Apr 3 14:15:35 2006

I would like to thank all those LUGers who responded to my quest for a way
to sort through and eliminate duplicates from a database of 6000 historical
industrial pictures. The programmers I talked to told me that it could be
done fairly easily along some of the lines suggested, but unless I had to do
the job repeatedly, I could do it manually long before the program was
completed. So I used the brute force approach. So much for automation.

All of the pictures were loaded into iPhoto on my new  20" MacIntel. The
magnification was adjusted to display 84 images at a time, each about the
size of a 35 mm contact print. I examined each array and trashed the
duplicates, averaging about 20 images in each set. This took about five
minutes. Then the next block of 84 was loaded and the process was repeated.
Scanning through the entire batch took about six hours. Another pass through
the data base to pick up those I missed on the first go around took a couple
more hours. While iPhoto
isn't a great cataloging system, it does have enough manual control of the
display to make this type of image sorting relatively easy.

It was pouring wind driven rain outside and the weather was far too nasty to
take pictures of flowers anyway. Where is global warming when you need it?

Larry Z