Subject: [Leica] re: Berliner Dept. Stores
From: dnygr at cshore.com (dnygr)
Date: Wed Jan 25 12:47:25 2006

Douglas,

Thank you for the update on the cafe. There used to be three department
stores in the vicinity of that cafe: down at Wittemberg Platz was KaDeWe
(Kaufhaus des Westens), but across the street, I can't entirely recall, was
a place named, if memory serves me right, "Bilko" or something similar. I
forget the name of the third.

The avenue in front of the cafe was home to many an anti-Vietnam war
demonstration and the Amerika Haus, not too far away on an adjacent block,
had stacks of makeshift gates around it to keep demonstrators at bay.

On the other side of the memorial church there was a small mall shopping
plaza with a British pub in it. Das Essen dort hat immer lasch geschmeckt.

Best regards--Doug Nygren

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] re: Berliner Dept. Stores)