Subject: Was RE: [Leica] DSLR choice - now Zeiss-Ikon
From: billgem at hotmail.com (Bill Marshall)
Date: Sat Jan 21 10:00:43 2006

Frank,

I truly appreciate all of the information that you have presented & the fact
that you have lent your expertise to this discussion. Thank you for your
patience with me who knows next to nothing about this subject other than
what I can learn from reading. I'm just a guy who likes cameras & who is
trying to understand the marketplace.

I certainly understand that Marketing Departments are paid to hype their
products & that these departments can be prone to exaggeration. So, I'm not
surprised when they claim that something is "rugged," "durable," or "robust"
& it is so only to a very limited degree. However, it's certainly confusing
to read about the testing that Nikon & Zeiss say that they have done & to
read their claim that magnesium meets the highest standards of professional
use (Nikon's claim) in terms of resistance to corrosion & of shock
resistance and for this not to be true. This would be more than marketing
hype & exaggeration. It would be misrepresentation, a blatant lie. While I
certainly don't put it past the corporate community to engage in such
deceipt, it would be surprising coming from companies like Nikon & Zeiss. I
assume that Canon & Leica have done similar testing although it is not
explicitly stated in their materials, so it only adds to my confusion when
companies of their stature also represent this material as strong & as fit
for its intended purpose.

Some time ago, I corresponded with Hasselblad about the Zeiss Ikon,
specifically in regard to the magnesium body plating as well as other
matters. Since they couldn't answer my questions, they referred me to one of
the engineers at Carl Zeiss AG. In an exchange of several lengthy e-mails,
he assured me that they had subjected the camera to intensive testing in
their environmental test lab for extremes of temperature, humidity, shock,
and vibration, that they had insisted on improvements & modifications where
they felt necessary, & that the camera met all of their standards in this
regard.  The tone of his letters bore no resemblance to someone from a
marketing department.

I don't know if the following sheds any light on the discussion, but here is
what Leica has to say on the subject in a press release about the R9:

"Magnesium is particularly difficult to manage with respect to corrosion
resistance and scuffing. Leica for the first time employs a plasma-chemical
process for coating the light metal. This transforms the surface of the
magnesium into a thick ceramic layer. In the process, special demands are
placed on the magnesium alloy and on the preparation of the surface. Special
lacquers are then applied to achieve an extraordinarily long-lasting finish.
A greater fabrication effort is also required for casting the magnesium in
the molds because this takes place at temperatures of 700 degrees C (1292
degrees F) as compared to 400 degrees C (752 degrees F) in the die-casting
process."

More from Erwin Puts on the matter:

"Magnesium is the lightest of all commercially available metals with a
specific gravity of 1.75. It is in itself not a strong metal, nor has it
good elasticity. You need to create an alloy and use a considerable
thickness or utilize deep sections to obtain good stiffness. It is a very
high cost material and does not possess good corrosion characteristics. The
painting and casting and shaping of the topcover is a process that takes
place in three countries (Germany, France, and Portugal) before it ends up
on the R9."

Again thanks for sharing your knowledge & for your patience with me.

Best regards,
bill

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) (Was RE: [Leica] DSLR choice - now Zeiss-Ikon)