Subject: [Leica] Black Paint M cameras
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Fri Sep 16 13:48:44 2005

It is my understanding that the original black paint used on Leicas was an
automotive laquer that was used on Mercedes Benz cars. I've also been in
touch with Youxin Yee about his black paint. Originally, he was using
Testor's paints, which wore off quite easily. His later efforts continued
using Testor but only for colours, while he began using a more durable
automotive paint for black. I agree with Vick that the way to go is with a
paint that will wear, even if a powder coat may be more durable, as I see
beauty in the edge wear of black paint cameras. For the same reason, I
prefer that the cameras be stripped down to the brass before painting, as
nothing screams "fake" as loudly as the glint of chrome on the worn parts of
a black paint camera.

Mark

Replies: Reply from Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] Black Paint M cameras)