Subject: [Leica] Kid Pix
From: geebee at geebeephoto.com (GeeBee)
Date: Wed Aug 10 14:52:17 2005

From: <pswango@att.net>

> Don Dory wrote:
> "But then again, I have been trying to find just where zone IX turns
> into zone X as displayed on the web.  I think that there is a cultural
> divide coming from those of us still using CRT's and almost everyone
> else using LCD displays.  My feeling is that the greater brightness of
> the LCD is changing what is acceptable in the electronic community."
>
> I've wondered the same thing.  I use LCD on a newish laptop.  A lot of the
images posted to the LUG seem (to me) to have blown highlights.  Even those
from obviously competent photographers, like Don and BD.  Some others
(Nathan, GeeBee, Doug Herr come to mind) usually look "right" on my screen.
Now I'm wondering how my post-processing looks to others.  Maybe some of you
could take a look at http://pswango.smugmug.com/ and let me know what you
think.  One gallery is recent color stuff from a trip to DC and the other
two are B/W galleries from the distant past that have already been discussed
here.  All the color is from Walgreen scans; all the B/W is scanned from
negatives on an Epson 3170.  The color was tweaked slightly for curves in
Picasa2, taking care to avoid blown highlights.  I'm wondering how it looks
on other monitors.

They all look fine to me but that may be because our personal preferences
are in synch rather than our monitors being calibrated correctly. We
recently had LCD screens installed at work and I saw my stuff for the first
time on one. Although the shadows and highlights look about right the
overall look was completely different and I don't care for it.

--Graham