Subject: [Leica] Thoughts on the new Zeiss lenses
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Apr 15 09:43:18 2005

On 4/15/05 5:43 AM, "Bill Marshall" <billgem@hotmail.com> typed:

> Well said, Scott. I'll suggest a couple of things to look for in these
> reviews once they come out:
>
> 1. How do the 50/2 Planar & 35/2 Biogon actually perform at f/2? MTF data
> indicate that these two lenses are as good or better at maximum aperture as
> the comparable Summicrons. Leica lenses excel in their performance wide
> open
> & it will be interesting to see in real world photographs if Zeiss lenses
> can do the same.
>
> 2. How do the 21, 25, & 28 Biogons perform up close? Zeiss claims that
> these
> lenses can be focused to 0.5 meters, like the Contax G lenses. It was one
> thing to do this with the unique focusing system on the Contax G, but can
> sufficient parallax correction be obtained on the ZI body to obtain
> accurate
> framing? No other RF bodies are RF coupled this close, so we'll have to
> wait
> until the summer for such reviews when the ZI is available.

To me this is a basic battle between modern ASPH retrofocus lens design
which as how Leica has gone...and I have heavily bought into.
And traditional real wide angle set way back to the film plane lenses.
Letting Biogons be Biogons.
Of which Zeiss seems to be aficionadod of.

In the wide angle department my heart is on the side of the more traditional
design. For me a "true" wide angle lens doing what it "wants" to do.

Give me a non retrofocal wide angle any day than these monsters we have to
lug around. Or those monster Distagons.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon