Subject: [Leica] APO SUMMICRON 75
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Apr 1 20:06:42 2005

> I'm with Mark on this one. I'd take the smaller 75/2 over the Summilux any
> day
> and use 1600 iso film to allow non-flash work in low light.
>
> The Summilux has a very shallow DOF wide open, is heavy and physically
> quite
> large (think Noctilux). Plus its not every day that Leica produces a lens
> that
> they label APO and ASPH!
>
> Regards,
>
> Greg

While the present 1.4 75 is a kind of a "cropped Noctilux".
The new one coming out is a "90 APO ASPH with some breathing room." or
"on steroids"
angle wise not size wise.

Or "A more humane 90 APO ASPH"

I'd bet the APO ASPH was one of Leica's better sellers as of late.
They may have actually made some money off it. Paid some bills.
The slow collapsible macro f4 not going over so well. Not that I'd not kill
for one.
They'd rather emulate the better selling one.
Times being what they are.
I'd take the new 75 over the 90 macro.
Make a nice bookend with my 90 APO ASPH.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/