Subject: [Leica] chasing a bee
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Apr 1 16:43:42 2005

Simon showed:

>>>>yesterday tried focusing with a 180 .
jet tried to catch a bee
found it quite challenging to get both the bee and cookie
forgot all about exposure!
camera was in aperture mode and spot metering was selected
low res. scans(for web selection in vuescan)
auto sharpening
http://gallery.leica-users.org/view_album.php?page=1<<<<<<<<<

Hi Simon,
One thing to keep in mind when you show a series like this .......

"DO NOT PUT ANY OF THE OUT OF FOCUS OR SOFT IMAGES IN!" Period! Never, ever!

Dump them, as they'll never get well! Even if you put them in a drawer for 6
months in the hope they'll get sharp, trust me they wont! Been there, tried
it! And I failed! ;-) Best to turf them right away and get over it without
dragging out your angst about blowing a few frames..

I know they look kind of neat, but instead of showing the OOF images and
pulling down the very good ones, all you do by showing them is your lack of
ability and skill with the manual focus-long lens combination.

Besides, the OOF images pull down the over all look of the series. Like I
said... live with it and just throw them into File 13 right off! Besides you
should never show or admit you've shot stuff out of focus! ;-)

You are not alone blowing frames under these conditions of a running child,
hell I've done it with athletes at the Olympics, and sure one feels bad. But
that isn't going to make them any sharper, that's photo life! Live with it
and shoot more to improve your handling skill.

Besides it's no easy task hand holding, manual focusing, advancing film and
keeping it all in focus on a running child! :-)  On the whole, you did very
well and that's all the more reason not to show some that are OOF!

ted

Replies: Reply from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] chasing a bee)