Subject: [Leica] Modifying Soviet LTM's
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu Mar 10 16:20:07 2005

At 08:03 AM 3/9/05 -0500, Lew Schwartz wrote:
>       I believe that there was a reference in this ng to someone who can
>modify Soviet LTM's to focus properly on Leica and Cosina screw mount
>bodies. Has anyone any experience with this repair or recall who does it?

Lew

With very few exceptions, all Postwar SPS (Soviet/Post-Soviet) LTM lenses
focus accurately on Leica bodies.  The few exceptions are caused by
improper manufacture and poor quality control.  Lenses properly constructed
work without a problem;  conversely, Leitz and Leica LTM cameras will jazz
up your Zorki or Fed body a bit without a problem.

Prewar FED lenses generally have problems, both in terms of quality control
and in terms of construction:  as was the case with early Japanese LTM
lenses, the manufacturers imagined that the LTM's dimensions were 39mm by
1mm, while it is actually 39mm by 26 turns per inch, Whitworth thread
(remember that Leitz made microscopes, and microscopes a century back were
generally produced in Whitworth threads, though the RMS mount actually
predates Whitworth);  this works out to 39mm by 0.977mm, and, for those of
us old enough to remember the reference, that "silly 0.23mm" made all the
difference, causing many Prewar FED and early Postwar Canon lenses to
bollux up when attempting to mount them on a true LTM body.  (I will admit
that I have owned and used a number of Prewar FED lenses and have never
encountered a problem with them on LTM bodies, nor have I ever encountered
a problem with Postwar SPS lenses.)

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!