Subject: [Leica] OT: Contax ceased production of 35mm cameras,digital to follow
From: tim at KairosPhoto.com (Tim Atherton)
Date: Thu Mar 3 12:08:31 2005

> How come?  Is every premium lens and camera brand
> up the proverbial creek without a paddle?  I'm a newbie.
> How did this come to be?

How? Simple - most of them have become victims of their own hubris.

About two years ago or so, most of these companies (in addition to some of
the film companies) seemed to feel they had maybe 5-8 years before digital
photography made really serious inroads into their markets. And either
because they truly were caught by surprise, or from wilful denial (probably
a combination of both in varying degrees) they failed to predict how very
fast digital was changing things. Even when the evidence was there for those
with eyes to see. That point, which they thought was 5-8 years away arrived
in about two years.

As a result they failed to adapt - either by partnering with someone who was
in tune with the coming changes or doing the (radical) work needed to adapt
themselves. In fact it isn't so much a change as a revolution in the way
photography is done in both consumer and professional work. I forget the
exact figures, but Kodak for example, was caught out last year by something
like a 40% change in film use when they had been predicting 5-10%. Ilford
all but went under because they were still massively overproducing film
products.

Leica clearly failed to adapt fast enough and isntead seems to have relied
on a "we've weathered these things before - SLR's, autofocus etc etc - we'll
weather it again. Which is a bit like typewriter manufacturers in the late
80's early 90's believing their will still be a worldwide market for
typewriters by the mid 90's. And even that analogy is out, because the
revolution has taken place far faster than that changeover.

Leica is still stuck trying to produce what can only be characterised as
"the last digital SLR in the world" which has still yet to really see the
light of day. Never mind the digital M. Whereas anyone who has been in tune
with the rapid change in the market has been producing their digi SLR's for
a few years now. And even the alternate digital M is out there.

Simply put, you snooze you lose. And these manufacturers who are now in
trouble or closing down their camera production lines were asleep at the
wheel (or such cameras weren't the main focus of their business by that
point anyway - like Contax).

tim a

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] OT: Contax ceased production of 35mm cameras, digital tofollow)
Reply from paul at paulhardycarter.com (Paul) ([Leica] OT: Contax ceased production of 35mm cameras, digital to follow)