Subject: [Leica] The Front Page: The entrails of the Times
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Sun Jan 16 01:43:52 2005

Dear Colleagues,

For those among us who are interested in photojournalism, picture editing,
and media ethics, Daniel Okrent, Public Editor of the NYT, dedicates his
Sunday
Times space to readers' letters debating whether publishing newshots in
color
on the front page of dead children who were victims of the tsunami tragedy
is
the right thing to do.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/16/weekinreview/16bott.html?oref=login&hp

If we consider the torture shots of prisoners in Iraq that many papers and
TV
shows exhibited, it seems that there is no professional policy of what is
acceptable or decent content to go along with coffee in the morning. I
suppose
Weegee and Brady would have no qualms about hard reality, so US journalism
is no
newcomer to this type of news presentation. If you're behind the camera it's
your job to lay it all out. It's up to the editors to decide which images to
use, so the photographer is off the hook. He shoots the entrails of the
times.
I reckon it's up to the readers to determine their significance and either
ignore or do something about what we see.

Bob