Subject: [Leica] camera insurance
From: Thinkofcole at aol.com (Thinkofcole@aol.com)
Date: Tue Dec 28 07:55:24 2004

Karen, having written extensively about the insurance industry  for The New
York Times years ago, I can tell you that the industry would think  twice
even
before selling fire insurance on a steel bridge permanently  under water.
   You can, of course, insure camera equipment in the United  States under
special policies that require that you hire an appraiser and value  each and
every item you want covered and then pay for only that coverage, which,  by
the
way, is expensive.
   Otherwise, lost camera equipment and other valuable  possessions, like a
gold watch, is probably covered under standard homeowner or  apartment-owner
insurance up to a certain amount, say, $500 --if and only  if you have
receipts
for their purchase.
   You may also buy coverage on her camera possessions while  abroad under a
kind of special insurance known as, say, "excess lines.''   The few
companies
that offer this special stuff also insures reporters and  photographers
against death, dismemberment, beheading and similar misfortunes  and also
insures
executives while abroad against kidnapping and other  calamities. Suffice it
say that the cost for any and all of this kind of  coverage is extremely
high.
[None of them likes to even admit that this kind of  coverage is available.]
  To sum up, just let your daughter enjoy her trip to Fiji and to take  all
the photos she likes.
But one of my daughters who made a similar trip elsewhere when she was a
youngster told me that one of her friends lost even a pair of boots she left

unguarded. If she wants to keep her Leica stuff, she should protect it the
same
way she protects her credit cards and cash.
  I'm sorry to be so blunt, but insurance companies are  definitely not
charitable institutions. The cost is based solely on risk  and they are
outstanding
in evaluating risk.
  Best wishes, bob cole

Replies: Reply from skrneta at mindspring.com (Sam Krneta) ([Leica] camera insurance)