Subject: [Leica] RE:OT - camera recommendations for non-camera folks
From: fmaturana at euskalnet.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Fri Nov 12 12:10:00 2004

>IMHO, the Yashica T-4 Point & Shoot is the very best an amateur can buy
>for the money:

This subject returns cyclically to this and to any other photographic
list and very soon we will see it concerning digital small cameras.
There are two very different styles of small film cameras, the "posh"
cameras like the Nikon TI in 28 and 35 mm, the Minolta TC-1 35mm and
some Contax "and" Leica with fix lenses or zooms. All of them are "very"
expensive, "very" good and finally some sort of man jewellery. I have
none of them and never had considered buying any of them. Historically
there were some Olympus Pen and Rollei 35 pieces not so expensive and,
however, excellent cameras.

There are another kind of small film cameras not so outrageously
expensive though of very good quality. The Olympus Stylus 35mm 2.8, The
Yashica T4 35mm 3.5 Tessar, and the Ricoh R1 with an stunning 28mm 2.8.
I own and use all of three and, just my experience, others may differ,
the best is the Ricoh. It may be important for me that 28mm is "my"
preferred lens. Well a M7 with a Chron 28mm ASPH is merely unbeatable.

Regards

Felix