Subject: [Leica] Let's Hold the Future at Bay a Tad Longer
From: kenf01 at gmail.com (Ken Firestone)
Date: Thu Sep 2 11:18:31 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:39:49 -0400, B. D. Colen <bdcolen@earthlink.net> wrote:
> The two spots I remember from D.C. - and I'm talking '66-'80 - were a
> camera store (can't remember the name, but I do remember that they got a
> fair amount of my pretty limited income)with both new and used equipment
> on the south side of Pennsylvania Ave NW between 17th and 18th Sts NW -
> and, I believe in that same block, same side, on the second or third
> floor, Images, a black and white custom lab started by the guy who was
> LBJ's WH photographer.

BD,
The two shops were probably Potomac Photo, and National Camera Repair.
National Camera Repair started out in a little hole in the wall on the
north side of Penn. Ave, and grew over time, eventually moving across
the street. Charlie Scheer,  the owner, fixed most of the cameras for
Washington Photojournalists at one time or another.

Potomac Photo had the distinction of handling the photofinishing for
Jackie Kennedy when she lived down the street.

LBJ's photographer, Yochi Okamoto, opened a photo lab as BD mentioned
after he retired from the government. Before his White House stint he
worked for USIA.

Other camera stores, all long gone from DC included several around 7th
and Penn, NW, several along 14th st and Bakers in what is now called
Tenleytown.

--
Ken Firestone, W3CAT    Kerry-Courage under fire.
kenf01@gmail.com          Bush-Driving under the influence.

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Let's Hold the Future at Bay a Tad Longer)
Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Let's Hold the Future at Bay a Tad Longer)