Subject: [Leica] From LHSA Spring Shoot
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Mon May 17 00:59:45 2004

On Monday, May 17, 2004, at 13:43 Australia/Melbourne, Peter Klein
wrote:

> Hands across the sea and all that. . .
>
> http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/Victoria/20AlexDavidBowBW.htm
>
> This was a really difficult one--glaring backlight and mixed
> daylight/incandescent, in the darkest portion of Empress tea room.
> 1/30 at f/2, 50mm Summicron.  Shot in color on Fuji Press 400, but the
> mixed light was just too weird, so it ended up B&W.

I enjoy this image and for me it shows that harsh contrast is not
needed in all b/w images. When I started photography, I did all my own
printing without guidance and produced a lot of images which were
roundly criticised  at school, where the prevailing "fashion" of Tri X
grainly harsh contrasty images printed on grade 3 paper up seemed to
dominate Australian b/w work in the 1970's. I'm not saying my images
were any good, just that there is a place for grade 2 paper ;-)

Alastair