Subject: [Leica] M7 Digital (real one!! :-) ) in LFI
From: Leicajay at aol.com (Leicajay@aol.com)
Date: Sun Mar 28 08:56:55 2004

<<In a message dated 3/28/04 10:06:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,
red735i@earthlink.net writes:

> So Leica now says they have fixed the laws of physics?  There may be a work
> around that uses some clever scientific methodology.  We must wait to find
> out.  Nothing says this is not more marketing hype.>>

Wow!  Over on photo.net *I* was the lone cynic about Leica's marketing hype
vs reality, everyone else gobbled it up like M&M's after a reefer bash and
villified me for expressing reasonable doubt.  I'd just like to say I'm happy
there are others on the LUG with both feet on the ground.  Just the same, all
digicams use things like anti-aliasing filters and "sharpening algorithms" to
aritifically cover up the inadequacies of digital capture devices, so that a
willing (gullible?) public will consider them "photo quality" and abandon film and
film cameras.  So I am at least hopeful that Epson/Leica et al's workaround of
digtal's preference for telecentric optics will enable me to keep using the
many thousands of dollars' worth of Leica lenses I currently own when using
film becomes too costly or inconvenient to obtain and have processed.  Otherwise
I don't particularly have much interest in digital at all.  And I say this as
the owner of a D60 and 1D so it's not like I've never used high-end digital
gear.

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] M7 Digital (real one!! :-) ) in LFI)