Subject: Re: [Leica] RE:Traveling the world, just me and my camera
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 07:41:33 -0800

ted offered:
> >There are too many people who think all you need is a Leica, film,
running
> >shoes and a foreign country and you'll become the next HCB or Marc
Riboud,
> >and that's absolute nonsense.
> >
> >It has far more to do with what's between the ears than the equipment.
> >Often we see pictures taken with a "Leica camera" and the presentation of
> >the images make it sound like they're right out of  "best pictures ever
> >taken book."
> >
> >When in fact they're crap because using a Leica doesn't ensure every
> >picture is great, nor as sure as all get out, make the photographer the
> >"world's greatest" because the exposure was made with a Leica!
> >Unfortunately some folks believe a Leica makes every exposure brilliant!

Félix López de Maturana responded and asked:

> With your kind permission, and mentioning the author, I'll translate into
> Spanish, print and frame and I'll hang on my office home wall these
> sentences. It's the most sensible statement I've read last months and,
> changing the name Leica for any other brand will be useful every time I'll
> intend buying any other camera. By no means will show this to my wife who
> was as kind as lending me the money for getting my EOS 1Ds and, then, will
> not do that never again. By the way I gave her back the amount with the
> first "job" I've done with this camera. I'm not a pro but from time to
time
> some guys insist in get some work from me. The money I get, on this way,
two
> books up to now and a third coming soon, is "only" for more gear.

G'day Felix,

I'm humbled by your request mon ami, by all means please use it in whichever
language you wish. :-)

And a big congratulations on gaining revenue from your photography and books
with the new equipment, may it always fill your pockets. :-)

ted