Subject: Re: [Leica] bw with Epson 2200...follow-up
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:27:12 -0800

Jack McLain wrote:

> Inkjetmall sells Hahnemule papers.  Also check out Moab Fine Art paper from
> the same supplier (less expensive for proofing and IMHO a nice alternative
> to Epson EM).  With the Septone Inkset these papers produce beautiful prints
> without meteramism.
>
> cheers
> Jack McLain

I had been checking out these guys:
http://www.inkjetart.com/art_papers.html

who have
Lanaquarelle Watercolor Paper
UN-Coated Watercolor One of the mouldmade papers from the Lana mill
(since 1590)

Eclipse Double Sided Coated Watercolor Eclipse Double Sided is a unique
new inkjet paper by BrightCube, that comes in three "flavors": Eclipse
Satine 190gsm, Eclipse Satine 300gsm and Eclipse Velvet 350gsm. All
three papers are 100% cotton fiber, white, acid free, lignin free,
double sided watercolor paper with multi receiving layers that produce
an instant dry emulsion on both sides of the sheet. All three are highly
water resistant and light-fast with both dye and pigment. All three
print well with both dye and pigment inks.

Arches Watercolor Paper
UN-Coated Watercolor Mouldmade by Arjomari Papers, France. Arches paper
is currently one of the most popular watercolor papers in the world.
Arches is the product of five centuries of papermaking experience. It is
gelatine sized, air dried and hand inspected as part of the mill's
stringent quality control. Arches has the warmest white color of any
paper on this list. It's "cold press" surface is also has the roughest
texture of any paper on this list -- which helps to hide and smooth dot
dithering patterns at any resolution, while still retaining good
sharpness and detail. We also carry a hot-press finish that gives an
extremely smooth surface for excellent photographic detail. Archival
rating by Henry Wilhelm with the Lysonic ink set is still in
preparation, however the rating with Lyson Fine Arts ink set is 32 to 36
years. Preliminary tests seem to indicate that
the longevity of this paper is the best.

Osprey Giclee
Coated Watercolor An archival, 100% cotton, 250 gsm (15 mil) inkjet
paper sheet, producing quite "photo-realistic results for a water color
paper. Suitable for fine art reproduction (giclée) work. Comparative
tests show that this paper printed with results very similar (and in
some ways better) than one of the leading coated water color papers on
the market.

Concord Rag
Coated Watercolor Outstanding Photographic Printability. The specially
treated surface of Concorde Rag is formulated to maximize color space
and minimize dot gain. This results in an art paper with outstanding
photographic printability. No other paper produced to date accepts such
a complete range of radically different inksets. Current test results
using new pigmented inks are giving projected image stability numbers in
excess of 150 years. (100% cotton, acid free and water-resistant.)

This sutff that I bought:
Crane Museo Coated Watercolor Museo is manufactured to archival
standards, it is acid-free, buffered with calcium carbonate and contains
no optical brighteners. This paper is subject to rigorous control
specifications for visual and functional performance characteristics.

And the stuff you were talking about:
Hahnemuhle
Coated Watercolor Hahnemuhle is the original manufacturer of the Lyson
and Luminos fine art papers. Hahnamühle's Photo Rag is a bright white
100% cotton rag, acid-free paper designed specially for optimum
photographic reproduction. Its D-max (black) depth and color saturation
performance is better than any fine art paper we have tested -- using
pigment or dye inks.

That just almost  scratches the coated surface.

And there's making you're own paper.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com/Catagorypages/PersonalWork.html