Subject: RE: [Leica] Why is the IIIg so much more expensive?
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:32:13 -0500

Adam,
May I humbly suggest one of the Japanese rangefinders from the late
sixties to early seventies?  A Canon QL17 has a good lens, is relatively
cheap(more money for film) and you don't have to tell the person how to
use it in automatic.  You still have to set ASA, focus, and decide on an
appropriate shutter speed/aperture.

A LTM will frustrate a new user with the film loading follies and
confusion about which shutter speed dial is doing what when: not to
mention forgetting to focus because you were looking through a
viewfinder that didn't have a rangefinder patch to remind you to focus.

No, I am not anti LTM's, I have four and use them fairly frequently.  It
is just when I was teaching photography to fairly bright kids, you
didn't want to give them any more speed bumps than necessary.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com