Subject: RE: [Leica] On making Art
From: Peterson Arthur G NSSC <PetersonAG@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 15:22:27 -0500

		Reading Phong's comment ("Art is an expression of our
feelings, among other things") and Jim's reply ("Art is the expression of an
emotion through a technique"), one might at first prefer to say, "Art is the
expression of emotion through a form"---whether that form were an
arrangement of words in a poem or a novel, an arrangement of light and color
in a picture, or an arrangement of sounds in a symphony or a sonata.  But
perhaps that definition should be carried a step further, addressing
strictly what art is, without reference to what it (supposedly) expresses.
Archibald MacLeish ended his poem "Ars Poetica" with the apt lines, "A poem
should not mean / But be" [emphasis added]; and as Igor Stravinsky once
explained, "Music can express nothing---that is my conviction---it can
express only itself."  So one might say, "A work of art is an object that
expresses itself through its form."

		Art Peterson
		Alexandria, Virginia