Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm color vs. the tyranny of the masses
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 22:06:23 -0800

Exactly. TMax developer was designed specifically for pushing, which
explains in part why it works so well even highly diluted. It's formula
is very active. TMax 400 and 100 were actually optimized for D-76. But
they are best pushed with TMax developer. (In Kodak's opinion).

Some time after it was introduced, they came out with the replenishing
version. I find it cost-effective enough to use one-shot which for most
people is the best way to get consistent results. Although, for TMX and
TMY, my preferred developer is not D-76, it's PressMaxx developer,
which was developed (by Beseler?) specifically for those two films. I
always got Tri-X tonality with TMax grain with both films. It was much
easier to avoid blown-out highlights if you accidentally overdeveloped
more than 30 seconds beyond the correct time. TMY especially, but TMY
were very unforgiving in terms of highlight density. The shoulder does
not flatten out like Tri-X.

I actually do miss working in the darkroom now that I don't have to do
it every day. :-)

On Dec 6, 2003, at 8:30 PM, Slobodan Dimitrov wrote:

> I think that making the T-max developer replenishable was a later
> development. If memory serves correctly, large production labs were
> looking
> for more cost effective processing.
Eric
Carlsbad, CA

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen, philosophers, and divines. - Ralph Waldo Emerson