Subject: RE: [Leica] 35mm color vs. the tyranny of the masses
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 08:03:06 -0500

Dante,

Interesting thesis; though my own prediction is that
sheet film formats, particularly 4x5 willl outlast
120 roll film, and long after 135.  This is based
primarily on my assumption that 4x5 film and camera
are much easier and cheaper to manufacture in small
quantity.

In some sense, death of a format is not
a well defined concept.  I understand that 127
format is still used (http://www.frugalphotographer.com/cat02.htm)
and perhaps even more arcane formats and processes.

I think it will still be a long time (past our collective
life time) before the last 135mm film is used, and
much longer after that for sheet film.  As long as
a person's creativity responds emotionally to a medium, he/she
will go to great length to procure the materials to
work, to create, to express in that medium, long after
the consumers, the advanced hobbyists and the professionals
have moved on.  For God's Sake, people are still oil
painting, aren't they ?

- - Phong

Replies: Reply from "Jack McLain" <jmclainaz@comcast.net> (Re: [Leica] 35mm color vs. the tyranny of the masses)