Subject: Re: [Leica] The LEICA DIGILUX 2 is announced
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:29:45 -0500

It's difficult to say whether the Digilux 2 is heartening or yet
another Leica digital nonstarter.

The plusses are
- -- the control system - if you are into dials
- --  the fast lens

The minuses are:
- -- small chip (as in 1/4 the size of a DSLR chip)
- -- the lens is huge (69mm front filter?!) - the front-to-back bulk is
pretty impressive, too
- -- the EVF is going to draw a ton of power
- -- the battery charging is slow (and you can bet that spares will be
expensive)
- -- no microdrive capability
- -- no firewire connection

I would hope that if this were coming out at $2K, that it would have
been a little more practical for extended (as in vacation) use.  I'm
sure that David Alan Harvey, working with a virtually unlimited NG
budget and sherpas to carry his gear can stomach expensive SD storage
and short battery life.  But since Leica just gave it to him at a bar,
who knows.