Subject: Re: [Leica] OT -now HAM RADIO...now Mac's
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:49:04 -0800

Don't worry about scanners, the good ones all work with them now.
Especially Epson flatbeds and Nikon film scanners. I really like the OS
X drivers from Nikon. Really fast in OS X and with great color
accuracy. New Macs support Firewire and USB 2.0. Before you buy anthing
though, check the manufacturer's website. UMAX is no good in Mac
support (not to mention no good anyway). HP has pretty good Mac support
too.

As for laptops, if you want to do a lot of photo work, you'll best be
happy with the 15 inch or 17 inch aluminum PowerBooks. Among laptops,
you'll not find anything better anywhere else. I helped a friend buy a
PC laptop for his wife, and after adding all the things on the PC
laptops that come with the Macs by default, there is an insignificant
price difference, or the PCs cost more. IBM Thinkpads are significantly
more expensive. Sony Vaios too when you have comparable features. In
the creative pro world, the Apple laptops are the best around. And
they're very cool too. :-)

Check them out at an Apple store, CompUSA, some Best Buys,  or the
Apple Store online. If you're in education, you can get a significant
discount.

Not to mention, OS X has been recently declared by some very PC sites
and magazines as the best desktop OS out. And why not? You can run
Photoshop 8 optimized for them on top of solid-as-a-rock UNIX on Macs.
I have been doing some tech support on the side, and Windows XP is a
nightmare to set up compared to OS X. That's probably because it's so
straight-forward in OS X now that it's just a major pain to deal with
the rest any more.

On Nov 19, 2003, at 10:27 AM, grduprey@rockwellcollins.com wrote:

> OK Now that several of you have made me eat my words on Ham software
> for
> Macs.  Of those of you out there who use Macs, do any of you use their
> Laptops?  If so what do you recommend?  I want something that will
> also be
> great for Photo purposes etc.  How do the current crop of scanners work
> with them?

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Never miss a good chance to shut up.  - Will Rogers.