Subject: Re: [Leica] Speaking of Photography -- Sally Mann on Charlie Rose
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:07:48 -0600

Well

I missed it as Katharina, our German Exchange Student this year, had to
watch the MTV European Music Awards Show.  A real waste of time, even she
was disappointed!  Oh well, I got to watch Wild On the Greek Islands
afterwards.  ;-)

Gene

                      "Kit McChesney"
                      <kitmc@acmefoto.com>                To:       <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        Subject:  [Leica] Speaking of Photography -- Sally Mann on Charlie Rose
                      -alto.ca.us

                      11/13/2003 08:06 AM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

I hope I wasn't the only LUG member who tuned in to Charlie Rose last night
(it's on really late here, but worth staying up for) to see Sally Mann
interviewed about her past work, but more about her new book, "What
Remains." In her new work she has actually photographed "remains" (dead
bodies) ... on first glance, one might think the work gruesome, but
actually, the work is incredibly moving and terrifically beautiful. All
large format work. She revealed an interesting note about how she works.
I'm
paraphrasing here ... "I have no light meter, and no shutter on the camera,
so I just put my hand in front of the lens and remove it for the time that
estimate the exposure requires."

Kit

Replies: Reply from Jim Hemenway <Jim@hemenway.com> (Re: [Leica] Speaking of Photography -- Sally Mann on Charlie Rose)