Subject: [Leica] Time to Replace that R4S . . .
From: BenMarks@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:12:50 -0500

Well, the ol' R4S has been diagnosed with a bad mirror case escapement -- supposedly the linkage between the R4s's meter and the chip which controls the shutter speed on auto-exposure.  And wouldn'cha know the cost to repair is greater than the cost to replace (check out the astoundingly low prices on the R4s at KEH.com, for example).

So this begs the question:  What to replace this camera with?  I am looking for R-family recommendations (please no discussion of digi-this-or-that). Any recommendations or regrets amoung those shooting with R5, 6, 6.2, 7 or RE?  Any dogs in this group?  I have to say, I use my R-series camera when I want the exposure-automation features and have LOVED the results.  Lenses are 35-50-135.  Incidentally, I think that R8 and 9 are too spendy for me, even used, given the amount of use this camera gets compared to my Ms.

I'm thinking that I won't replace with another R4-era camera unless someone has a recommendation as to how to avoid electronics problems.  All of my "sudden death" camera problems with Leicas (as opposed to idiot-photographer dropping one for ex.) have been electronics problems.  Dead meter - M6 after 10 years (second user), dying meter on R4s after 8 years (second user) and "manual" - ISO setting malfunction on my new M7 (still figuring out when I can part with it for repairs as the DX-reading function seems to work fine).

So, R-users, what's working for you and why?

Thanks in advance,

Ben Marks
benmarks-at-AOL.com

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Time to Replace that R4S . . .)