Subject: RE: [Leica] PAW
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:22:03 -0500

Well thanks for the kind words..but..I am a supremely 'insecure'
photographer; I always worry that I somehow blew the shoot until I see
the results. I'm not sure where that comes from, but...

Anyway...At this point I am using digital for any sort of really
straight-forward bread-and-butter stuff - for instance an afternoon of
grip-n-grins in D.C. on Sunday. Why bother with film when you can shoot,
dump the images from your card to your computer, pick the images, size
them, do any 'darkroom' work, and Email them to the client or burn them
to a CD. Under those circumstances, film makes less than no sense.

In terms of more 'serious' work, I think that at this point the digital
will replace my F100s - which is to say I'll use it for work with longer
lenses, flash work, and most outdoor work. Film - and the Ms - is/are
still the choice for low light work and wide angle lenses...

There's no question that film still provides better shadow detail, and
that at higher ISOs, still carries the day.

But in the long run? When there are fast primes and wide primes
available for the digital I'm using? I don't know. Like the rest of the
'oldsters' on the list I grew up on film - and I grew up on the Leica
myth. As I've written a number of times, my first 'real' camera was a
IIIc with a Canon 50 1.8. Numerous times over the years I've drifted
away from the Leica rangefinders, and each time I've eventually come
back - kicking myself hard for having sold the previous batch of
equipment.

So for now I'm still hanging on to my 'real cameras.' I suppose that one
of the things protecting my Ms is the knowledge that every time I've
unloaded a kit, I've regreted it. But I don't know how much longer I'll
feel that way.

B. D.