Subject: Re: [Leica] Best (and simplest) bread pudding in the world!
From: Peter Dzwig <pdzwig@summaventures.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:13:02 +0000

Now........,on the subject of bread pudding and lard/Crisco, we used to
make the following when I was a kid. Yes we were allowed to help, this
was in the "good old days". If you make it be it on your own head- or
heart :-).

Take a stale loaf and crumple it up, or pieces from several loaves
(white or brown, but NOT green!). Soak the bread in milk (full fat, none
of this skimmed stuff) overnight until it makes a nice mush (culinary
term). Squeeze any excess milk out. Add fruit; raisins, sultanas etc to
taste together with a pinch -or two, or three - of nutmeg. Stir together
in a large Pyrex bowl with some sugar (to taste). Take a few ounces of
lard/Crisco - yes it would have been dripping once - and melt. Pour the
lard over the mixture to bind it and tamp it all down with the back of a
spoon. Over the top of this lot sprinkle a little white or brown sugar.
Bake in a moderately hot oven, not too hot, for about 30 mins or so.
When it comes out let it cool a bit. It should now be a delicious, dense
cake-like pudding.

It can be served hot or cold with custard if you like.

Sorry I won't be able to make Colorado getting a flight from the UK this
weekend will be difficultr as I have other commitments.

Enjoy,

Peter Dzwig