Subject: Re: [Leica] Journalism, altered photo's, and other ethical debates
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 17:33:01 -0800

No, but I think people should not attack respected members of the profession
when the attacker obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. I've heard
Sebastiao Salgado in interviews, and he has run a workshop in Argentina
along with a person I know who would never tolerate the kind of action Rob
is accusing Salgado of. In fact that workshop is based on the Missouri Photo
Workshop. You fake a picture there and you're out on your ear. I've been
there and done that.

All the evidence I'm aware of is that Salgado is an ethical practitioner of
the profession and I will not accept the smearing of his reputation without
comment. And I look at his photos and see why some photographers might
assume he fakes photos, but I can see talent and a drive few humans have to
make the kinds of photos he does.

on 11/7/03 4:21 AM, Phong at phong@doan-ltd.com wrote:

> Eric, you are not reasonable.
> Are you implying that we not discuss anything negative
> about public figures not on the list ?

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits. - Albert Einstein

Replies: Reply from "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com> (Re: [Leica] Journalism, altered photo's, and other ethical debates)