Subject: Photogrpahic abstraction (was RE: [Leica] Photo scandal at National Geographic!!!)
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 21:47:41 -0600

> But when I photograph outside a studio on the street there is
> detail, light,
> subjects I can't select that I must include whether I like it or not.

Of course you can - a photograph always includes  categorical edges - a
frame - and thus an excluding of things - and ours is the choice of what we
exclude - each and every time we make a photograph. (even the light - you
can change it with filters, with aperture or even choice of film - the same
scene will look very different if you chose colour negative as opposed to
colour transparency. And as for black and white - you chose to remove one of
the most fundamental characteristics of all objects; their colour) Every
photograph is always, by it's very nature, an abstraction.

tim