Subject: Re: [Leica] what's in a name?
From: Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 06:49:51 +0200

This kind of predictability is good in other contexts too--for example, when
we drive around Europe on our vacations with the children, we tend to stay
in Holiday Inns. We know that with some small local variations, we can
expect pretty much the same room standard and amenities everywhere.

The other thing that McDo does very well is adapting to local tastes. For
example, when they decided to introduce a pork-based sandwich in the mid-90s
(following the mad cow disease outbreak in the UK and Europe), they did it
first in Denmark, where there is a tradition of eating ground pork (and it
is a small market, so screwing up there would not have huge financial
consequences). It was reasonably successful there, and is still available
under the name McPork. They later made it available in other countries,
although subtly hiding the content by renaming it McFarmer there.

Nathan

bdcolen wrote:

> Absolutely right, Don - The thing that made McDonalds was it's
> predictability - in terms of menu, cleanliness, and service. While the
> quality and taste of the food is still predictable, cleanliness and
> service have gone to hell, which is one reason why McDs is in trouble.
> The all-fat menu hasn't helped either, although the new salads are
> actually pretty good.
>
> B. D.

- --
Nathan Wajsman