Subject: Re: [Leica] Documentary Photography 2003
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:03:09 -0700

George Lottermoser wrote:

> knarf.theriault@sympatico.ca (frank theriault)7/2/03
>
> >but ~someone~ has to stand up to these bullies, and
> >make them realize that they can't just push people around because they
> >"don't like cameras" or whatever.  There are laws to protect ordinary
> >citizens from such harrassment, is my point.
>
> My letter 3standing up to these bullies2 to the director of Summerfest 2003
> ---------------------------
> July 2, 2003
>
> Bo Black
> Summerfest
> 200 North Harbor Drive
> Milwaukee, WI 53202
>
> Dear Ms. Black,
>
> On Monday, June 30th, 2003, I took the afternoon off to see and hear Michelle Shocked perform at 5:30pm at Summerfest. While waiting for my partner and for the concert to start, I tried to find some lovely photographs in the fountain where the children played - the sun beginning to set behind them - backlit water - children laughing - lovely to a fault - thinking of how to avoid the visual clichés.
><Snip>
>         Your Security personnel have authority only to get a police person to enforce laws being broken. I broke no laws. Nor did I even break any posted or printed rules. I posed no threat of physical harm, psychological harm, nor theft.
>         Your Security personnel robbed me of 1 hour of my life, without cause, and then made another two hours of life miserable for myself and my partner, by having the ability to, but refusing to help us communicate with each other. Rather than helping us, they chose to flirt with the tort of oral defamation and slander (by imputing criminal guilt, or conduct or a characteristic affecting my business and profession); accusing me of loitering (to remain in or hang around an area for no obvious purpose. specif: to linger aimlessly for the purpose of committing a crime) and again threaten me with arrest, when I plainly told them that I and my partner came to Summerfest on a Shuttle and I could not and would not leave without her, fully explaining my good and valid reason for waiting outside the gate; and further pleading with them to help me communicate with her, knowing she sat just 300 feet away from the entrance where I stood.
>         I lost an entire afternoon of work, never got to see or hear the concert which I went for, and spent $10 and another hour of life on a shuttle in order to be harassed by your Security personnel for 3 hours, for absolutely no reason what-so-ever.
>         Rest assured I1ll make every effort to communicate these events to the media and caution everyone I know and meet that the current level of Security personnel at Summerfest holds as much potential for personal harm as any citizen you may encounter there.
>
> Fond regards,
>
> G e o r g e   L o t t e r m o s e r,    imagist*

I'll never go there you can be sure George but PLEASE PLEASE sue them.
I'll not sleep nights thinking they got away with a thing like that.
I've seldom heard of anyone who deserved more to be sued. Your lawyer
will make a lot of money, You will make a lot of money to spend on 21
Asph's or 90 apo apo's or Leica MP's. Of course it will never get to
court. All of your posts make you come across to me squarely as a
gentleman. They want you on the stand. As a friend of mine once said
"Why work!" when people are going to crudely trample on your rights and
you can make a killing suing the blazes out of them. Sure it's the thing
that's the thing not the money. But money is OK it's very flexible.
Come to think of it I will go to Summerfest and carrying conspicuous cameras.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com