Subject: Re: [Leica] Development question
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 11:19:53 -0700

Martin Howard wrote:

> I hate having to stand around agitating film during development, so I
> got an old UniRoller to use with my 5-reel Paterson Super System 4
> tanks.  Works great.  I've established that 600ml of liquid will cover
> the films when used like this.
>
> However, I need to determine developing times.  Since the two and one
> reel tanks are too small (too short) to use on the roller, I have to
> use the five reel tank.  I don't necessarily want to shoot five rolls
> of film, just for one processing test.  So, my question is this: if I
> were to put a single roll of film in with 600ml of fluid (since the
> amount of liquid is the same, regardless of the number of films) would
> that give an incorrect time, compared to when I then later use five
> rolls of film for the same amount of chemicals?  Would the difference
> be significant?  Could I get around this by banging in four unexposed
> films too?  Or do I have to have five exposed rolls of film?
>
> M.

Martin that happens with some developers when you have diluted to near
extinction; you've highly diluted it to the point where it can be
diluted no more. The glaring case is what I've been up to now. Using
Xtol 1:3. I tend to develop a full tank and not a partial tank and for
that reason.(the problem you are mentioning)

If it was one roll in a one liter 4 roll tank than I'd expect it to have
built up quite a bit more density than I'm used to with that film and
time. So I'd just cat back a few minutes for that kind of situation.
It's only happed once or twice and both times it seems to have turned
out OK so i remain not having a definite system with times for different
amount of reels in a tank. This much intuitiveness seems to be well
within our capabilities!

In Rodinal or D76 1:1 or 1:2 even there is not a difference. Also HC110
or Acufine. Or Beutlers. Those are the developers I've used over the
years. Oh and Rabinoi!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com