Subject: [Leica] X-Box -- Just set some limits?
From: Edward Caliguri <caliguri@rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 12:42:58 -0400

 True -
All of you have a point! Parenting and example setting IS the most important
aspect of child rearing - a example of the "bad" side of that is that the
divorce rate is so high - especially among children of divorced parents. Not
that that is immoral; I think that divorce sometimes is the BEST thing that
can happen to a child's parents. Seeing constant fighting, throwing of
objects etc. can be tragic to a young mind, let alone abuse and all that - I
thank God I haven't experienced that myself. But tensions are VERY high
these days, and that just fuels the fire for all sorts of behavioral
problems (gang violence, drug and alcohol use for escapism etc.) and
sometimes I look at these games and think, from an 8 yr.. old perspective
"Is THIS the world we live in today? Is this what people DO? Is it OK to
hurt, even kill other living things - even people?" I know they see this
stuff on TV in the REAL world as it is - isn't that enough?
As I said, I don't really "blame" the V- Games. I just think that, as some
of you mentioned, for kids this young, some simple rules need to be set up
around them, that's all. And that circles back to parenting.
    Marc - I shove a DV camera into my 8 yr old's hands as often as I can. I
THINK he's starting to like it :-) He won't let me take it back so fast any
more!
ED