Subject: Re: [Leica] ASPH Flare and harsh Bokeh
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:50:54 -0600

My 35/1.4 Asph is so good at flare control that I do not use it with
its hood. I have NO problems at all with flare. My 35/2 (fourth
version, latest non-asph formulation, late German production) was very
good at flare control too but not as good as the 35/1.4 Asph. I am not
alone in this opinion and I picked it up from watching a mpg of DAH at
work.

I also have the 24/2.8 Asph and have read elsewhere of flare complaints
against this lens. All I can say is that I have had no problems myself
but it is one of my less used lenses.

I largely agree that the Asph lenses have a slightly harsher bokeh. It
bothers some people and they have returned to, or stuck with, the old
spherical designs. I tested my 35/1.4A against my aforementioned 35/2
and I could indeed see the difference. The 35/2 is the by far the
smoothest performer at f/5.6 or so; but, wide open, it is a mess. A
good deal of my shooting is wide open and the Asph lens wins hands down
every time.

So it depends on how and where you use the equipment. One person's
delight is another's pain.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] ASPH Flare and harsh Bokeh)