Subject: favored R body? (was: Re: [Leica] OT: cheap Nikon AF body? .. for one lens only)
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:24:57 -0800

on 3/24/03 3:30 PM, faneuil at leica_korenman@hotmail.com wrote:

> 60 Nikkor Micro-Boy here with another question:
> Now that I have been flamed (or at least lighted toasted)
> You do have me thinking...
>
> I never considered (or know much about) the Lecia SLR lineup.
> (he asked with trepidation).
> What would it cost to get into an SLR and 60 macro lens?
> Which SLR body is favored these days (seems it ain't the latest)

Depends on what you want from an SLR.  Lots of info at
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/leica

My personal favorite is the Leicaflex SL: the brightest and easiest-to-focus
SLR viewfinder you're likely to ever see, continously-variable shutter
speeds, indestructible innards.  The disadvantages include:

) few modern convenience features and
) finding one in primo user condition

These machines are ~30 years old or so, and may have suffered neglect or
abuse.  Get one with a recent CLA and no prism de-silvering or fungus and it
will last many many decades.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com